Famagusta Railway

Media: image

The Cyprus Government Railway was a 2 ft 6 in (762 mm) narrow gauge railway network that operated in Cyprus from October 1905 to December 1951. With a total length of 76 miles (122 km), there were 39 stations, stops and halts, the most prominent of which served Famagusta, Prastio Mesaoria, Angastina, Trachoni, Nicosia, Kokkinotrimithia, Morphou, Kalo Chorio and Evrychou. The CGR was closed down due to financial reasons. An extension of the railway which was built to serve the Cyprus Mines Corporation operated until 1974.

The Cyprus Government Railway was used in a number of ways and served both the colonial authorities and the local population. Principal operations were as follows: It served the port of Famagusta, as a freight transfer system. It transferred timber from the Troodos Mountains to towns and cities across Cyprus. It carried freight, ore and minerals on behalf of the Cyprus Mines Corporation. The local railway stations functioned as a place of exchange of goods and services, while some also operated as telephone centres, telegram offices and/or postal offices. CGR trains carried mail, which arrived in Famagusta via the Egyptian Khedivial Mail Line (1912–1939). The existence of a railway in Cyprus brought many benefits to the population of Cyprus. However, during the first years of its operation, many reportedly viewed the railway as a spectacle to be viewed rather than a means of transportation. Overall, the CGR carried 3,199,934 tons of commercial goods and freight and 7,348,643 passengers during its history.