Othello Castel

Text source: wikipedia

Othello Castle (Greek: Πύργος του Oθέλλου, Turkish: Othello Kalesi), also known as Othello’s Tower, is a castle in Famagusta, built by the Lusignans in the 14th century, and was later modified by the Venetians. The castle gets its name from Shakespeare’s famous play Othello, which is set in a harbour town in Cyprus.

Othello Castle was built in the 14th century by the Lusignans (who ruled the Kingdom of Cyprus) to protect the port against possible enemy attacks. It was also used as the main entrance to Famagusta. It used to be called “impenetrable fortress” due to it being nearly impossible to attack because of very deep ditches surrounding it. After Cyprus was sold to the Republic of Venice, the castle’s square towers were replaced with circular ones to suit more modern artillery. After these modifications, a relief of the Lion of St Mark was engraved above the castle’s main entrance. The name of Captain Nicolo Foscari, who directed the alterations to the castle, and the date 1492 are inscribed near the relief. Apparently Leonardo da Vinci advised the refurbishment in 1481. In 1900, the castle’s ditch was drained of water to reduce the risk of malaria. The castle began to be restored in 2014, and it reopened to the public on 3 July 2015.